Guests: 2
Total: 2

Author Topic: WotLK  (Read 14323 times)

Kazz

• Forum Lich
  • WotLK
    « on: May 09, 2008, 10:50:52 AM »
    Moo all,

Gamespy have just put up a huge look into the expansion pack clicky clicky.
    Semi-retired and proud member of Dotu

AKA Reshka
    Steam

Hruktar

• Forum Lich
  • Re: WotLK
    « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:53:26 AM »
    About the Death Knight - adding another tanking class to the game. Is it good or bad?

The official reason for the addition of another tanking class is that it is very hard to find tanks for 5 man instances. I find it very hard to see that as a valid reason. At the moment warrior is one of the most highly represented class in the game, so there are many many people playing a tanking class, yet there are so few tanks.

By introducing DK I don't think a lot of people will think, hey i wanna tank! After all a DK will have a dps build too. I'm expecting to see pugs consisting of 5 DKs with none of them wanting to tank.

It's the same effect when i see a group consisting of a shaman, a paladin, a priest and a druid LFG xy instance need healer :)

Kazz

• Forum Lich
    « Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:40:02 PM »
    aye, as its the first hero class i can see the LFG channel flooded with them, meh  ::)

Anyhoo, quick summary of the new info:

Death Knights

Remember all the talk of an epic quest to unlock the DK? well thats been scrapped. All that's required is for the player to have a character reach 55 on one server. After that, the Death Knight option becomes available, though players will be restricted to one per server. Starting level at 55, any race.
    Death Knight can turn dead teammates into ghouls, now that should be fun. A Death Knight's main raid function is either a tank or melee dps, closest comparison melee-wise is to a fury warrior, great, more melee to contest with Enhance shamy / fury warriors / ret pala's  :)

Raiding

Now this is HUGE and unexpected.
    The raid dungeons in Wrath of the Lich King would all have 10-man and 25-man versions, with substantially better gear available to anyone who could organize the 25-man.
    There will be no attunements or keys to obtain, and you won't be locked out of a 25-person instance if you decide to attempt the 10-person version, and vice-versa.

Flying Mounts

"We do have a plan for flying mounts, and letting players unlock their flying mounts at level 77 is going to be acceptable to the players once they get there.
    There'll be either a quest or a trainer that you can visit to unlock your flying mount which we'll expect you to use for your last three levels. You can use your Outland flying mount, and we will have new flying mounts for you to get as well."

Darlaran (the new city in Northrend, currently in Alterac Mountains, that large purple protective magic dome, inside there in case you didn't know  ;))

"Once Dalaran moves, what's going to be there?"
    "Something! The idea behind that is that the mages have gotten together and literally dug up Dalaran out of the ground, and have moved it off to Northrend.
    There'll be something there and it'll be pretty cool-looking. We haven't actually made it yet, but we have some concepts for what it's going to look like, and it looks cool"

Other quick bits of news,
    Northrend is much larger than Outland
    All five Dragonflights will appear in the zone Dragonblight
    The Badge of Justice system will continue in Northrend, but there will be new tokens to act as Badges and be returned for loot.

AKA Reshka
    Steam

Erebus

• Forum Abomination
    « Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 03:33:56 PM »
    DK abilities

# Death Coil -- Depletes all Runic Power, dealing 600 damage to a non-Undead target, or healing 900 damage on a friendly target. (Curse.com)
    # Death Grip -- This is the Death Knight's "taunt" ability. It also pulls the target to the Death Knight, forcing them to attack the Death Knight for a short amount of time. Yes, I said pulls the target; Blizzard is going to allow players to move mobs in the expansion both with Death Grip, and other knockback/pull abilities. This works on players too, so PvP balance ahoy! (Curse.com)
    # Chains of Ice -- Roots the target in place. When the spell fades, it places a snare on the target that reduces in potency as the duration runs out. (Curse.com)
    # Death Pact -- Sacrifices the raised ghouls to heal the Death Knight. (Curse.com)
    # Death and Decay -- Targeted, AoE Damage-over-time which pulses similar to the Paladin spell Consecration. Anyone affected by Death and Decay has a chance to be feared. (Curse.com)
    # Frost Presence -- Increases Armor by 45% and allows the Death Knight to generate 25% more threat. Only one presence can be active at any time. (Curse.com)
    # Unholy Presence -- Increases Attack Speed and Movement speed by 15%. Only one presence can be active at any time. This was described by Tom Chilton as the "PvP" presence. (Curse.com)
    # Anti-magic Shield -- Reduces the damage of the next magical spell cast on the Death Knight by 75%. It also converts the damage reduced into Runic Power. (Curse.com)
    # Strangulate -- Depletes all Runic Power, dealing minor damage and silencing the target for up to 5 seconds. (Curse.com)
    # Summon Deathcharger -- Allows the Death Knight to summon a Deathcharger mount. This mount is acquired through quests, similar to the Paladin and Warlock land mounts.  (Curse.com)
    # Raise Dead -- Raises a nearby corpse to fight for the Death Knight for 2 minutes. If used on a player corpse, the player has the option to play as the ghoul for the duration -- gaining access to the ghoul's abilities. (Curse.com)
           The ghoul has the ability to do the following:
                  Leap to the target
                  Rend for decent damage-over-time
                  Stun target, and of course more

Kazz

• Forum Lich
    « Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 05:58:59 PM »
    Little bit more info, looks like a Aldor / Scryer thing is back. But this time you can either side with "Wolvars" or the "Oracle's" (wolve / human hybrid race, the Oracles are whey! Murlocs!  ;D)

AKA Reshka
    Steam

Erebus

• Forum Abomination
    « Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:48:01 PM »
    So how many pvp complaints will it get???

Death Grip -- This is the Death Knight's "taunt" ability. It also pulls the target to the Death Knight, forcing them to attack the Death Knight for a short amount of time. Yes, I said pulls the target; Blizzard is going to allow players to move mobs in the expansion both with Death Grip, and other knockback/pull abilities. This works on players too, so PvP balance ahoy!

I say all of them :)

Kazz

• Forum Lich
    « Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 12:51:11 AM »
    Even more info :)

"They're planning a new item type that will bind to your account, specifically for twinking. You might get it in a dungeon, and you can mail it to your alts, but you can't sell it on the AH or anything."
    Finally, soulbound to account, so many times ive picked up loot to de thinking "my alt could have done with that"

AKA Reshka
    Steam

Zombade

• Forum Lich
    « Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 10:31:53 AM »
    suddenly i feel it's death knight swarm in wow :-/
    what came first, chicken or egg? tauren laid eggs

krzysio

• Forum Abomination
    « Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 09:40:38 PM »
    you know when Wotkl come??

Kazz

• Forum Lich
    « Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 07:52:53 PM »
    Major WotLK leak or fake? no idea but interesting reading / model viewer pics (obviously contains 'spoilers') linky

Also found what appears to be the main music when you boot it up http://youtube.com/watch?v=SkR47NiktHo

AKA Reshka
    Steam

roux

• Guest |
    Re: WotLK
    « Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 08:47:14 AM »
    Okay, so instead of a hunter standing on a trap in middle of a flare,
    rogues may now deal with a pussyknight that consecrates that fears and freezes you and if you think of running will pull you back in giving you no chance to do jack.... interesting *not*

Lucor

• Forum Crypt Fiend
    « Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »
    Okay, so instead of a hunter standing on a trap in middle of a flare,
    rogues may now deal with a pussyknight that consecrates that fears and freezes you and if you think of running will pull you back in giving you no chance to do jack.... interesting *not*

Finally a class that can actually do something against the stunfest ;)
    there's someone in my head
    but it's not me

higgo

• Officer / Site Admin |
    • Forum Lich
    « Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 09:53:34 AM »
    indeed  :D

Erebus

• Forum Abomination
    « Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 01:00:24 PM »
    Get ready to do no damage to druids in bear form!!!

Another new Talent that shores up a weak area is very, very deep in the Feral Talent tree. Currently, Thick Hide comes very early in the tree, and increases armor contribution from items by 10% when fully specced 3/3. Well, the new Talent deep in the tree builds on this further by adding another +10% armor contribution from items, which is nice enough, but it also serves to reduce all spell damage by 10% as well.

Oh, they are getting a cloak of shadows like ability for stun and movement imparing effects.
    « Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 01:03:14 PM by Erebus »

Zombade

• Forum Lich
    « Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 06:51:01 PM »
    oh yummy, my druid.... cooooooool :D
    what came first, chicken or egg? tauren laid eggs