• Total Topics: 2778
  • Online Today: 34
  • Online Ever: 83
  • (October 12, 2016, 11:10:05 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Author Topic: New computer - advice needed  (Read 4410 times)

Hruktar

• Forum Lich
  • New computer - advice needed
    « on: April 14, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »
    So i'm about to buy some new computer parts as my current one is getting old now, and as i haven't really followed recent trends i need some advice.

I have about 480 eur / 420 gbp for a new motherboard, processor and video card. The other parts could be used from my current PC i think. I don't really need the latest hits, as the only resource needy game i'm playing is wow. Thinking something on the level of a better core 2 duo proc with a fitting motherboard, but i'm kinda lost seeing the sheer number of available video cards out there.

Need halp plox, kkthxbye.

Astoriculus

• Forum Lich
  • Re: New computer - advice needed
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:22:47 PM »
    For a video card, you can find a great cost/performance option in a Nvidia GTS250, for a little over 100 EUR, for the rest, you can see for a good CPU and a decent MB which would cover the rest of the money you've got to invest, maybe some better RAM.

Frenkster

• Big tree of happines
    • Forum Frost Wyrm
    « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
    Could you give me/us your current setup (brand names,type etc) ?
    So we know whats an upgrade ;)
    Let the force surround your leaves and branches

Hruktar

• Forum Lich
    « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »
    My current one is quite old (about 5 years), like i said i don't change my comp every year to keep up with the latest hotnesses. I have a single core 3.0 GHz intel CPU, but I can't remember the type of MB and video card i have, will check when i'm home. I have a feeling anything on the market at the moment is an upgrade, however i would like it to last a few years again before needing to change the whole thing.

Heuf

• Forum Frost Wyrm
    « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 02:10:41 PM »
    at least go for dual core. GFX card is all about clock speed.
    4 to 6 gb dd3 will do the trick.

Frenkster

• Big tree of happines
    • Forum Frost Wyrm
    « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 02:46:42 PM »
    My current one is quite old (about 5 years), like i said i don't change my comp every year to keep up with the latest hotnesses. I have a single core 3.0 GHz intel CPU, but I can't remember the type of MB and video card i have, will check when i'm home. I have a feeling anything on the market at the moment is an upgrade, however i would like it to last a few years again before needing to change the whole thing.
    Will make you a little budget list :)

Kazz

• Forum Lich
    « Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 03:03:42 PM »
    If you plan to use some of your current pc components, then you'd need to know what exact ram you have (to make sure it fits a new motherboard), your power supply (will it be enough / stable for new hardware).
    Also the last 3 years worth of tech, especially graphic cards have got a lot hotter than your current system, so would your cases cooling be sufficient?

If you can use your existing ram, with it being 5+ years old it will bottleneck your new gear.
    So, if your case and power supply are up to the task, something like this would last you many years to come. Knowing your monitor size would help as well.

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Lynnfield)  £160
    MB: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Intel P55  £85
    GPU: Asus ATI Radeon HD 5770 CuCore 1024MB GDDR5 £135
    RAM: Corsair Domnator XMS3 PC3- 12800 (2x1GB) £60

Total: £440 (ish) :)

Cuts could be made here and there to supply a new case or psu, although if you need both, might not get a great system.

GFX card is all about clock speed.

? No it isn't :)

Semi-retired and proud member of Dotu

AKA Reshka
    Steam

Wyred

• Forum Banshee
    « Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 03:28:56 PM »
    Yeah, I'd have to say if it's been 5 years, fitting current tech in with your older components will be tricky - can't see RAM working at all with a new dual core motherboard. From 5 years ago you'll be using DDR1, the new MB will be DDR2 or 3. All a bit moot really, after 5 years and with £440 to burn, buy a new computer. Had a quick look and have seen a few systems with similar specs to what Kazz has posted (possibly not with a graphics card you'd want to use). You won't have the trouble of making sure components are compatible, shouldn't have bottlenecks, it'll come with a warranty and the ones I looked at had windows 7 bundled.

Frenkster

• Big tree of happines
    • Forum Frost Wyrm
    « Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »

Should be able to get you going, but in my experience you can buy something better with 550-600(eur) if you want to be ready for the next five years(and still can play average around that time) you can buy that for around 650-700.(if you don't buy a new case/keyboard/mouse and screen)
    You should at least have a 500 watt powersupply to run the videocard :)
    « Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:46:49 PM by Frenkster »

Wyred

• Forum Banshee
    « Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
    Scratch that, found one with quad core, 6gb ram, 640gb HD, windows 7 & and some shitty ATI graphics card for £449, and that includes tax and delivery. I'm going to have to stop looking though or I'll buy myself a new comp.

Hruktar

• Forum Lich
    « Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »
    Scratch that, found one with quad core, 6gb ram, 640gb HD, windows 7 & and some shitty ATI graphics card for £449, and that includes tax and delivery. I'm going to have to stop looking though or I'll buy myself a new comp.

Link please? I'm not in the UK though, so delivery and guarantee might be tricky.
    « Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:47:46 PM by Hruktar »

Soulslayerd

• Moo000oooo
    • Forum Lich
    « Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »
    Ati cards > rest of te gfx cards. Always have been my opinion anyways :)
    ................(___)..........
    .................|Oo|...........
    .......... /```` oo).........
    ........./ |_____O MOoo..
    .......*...L......L..............

Wyred

• Forum Banshee
    « Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 05:59:31 PM »
    Here you go, the inspiron 570 on that page. Bear in mind, this was from 5 mins of searching at work, but looked like a decent deal to me. Not sure, but think they also sell to EU countries.

PS, Nvidia kicks ATI's arse any day of the week.

Tutenkhur

• Forum Abomination
    « Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 07:36:32 PM »

PS, Nvidia kicks ATI's arse any day of the week.

don't start the everlasting ati vs nvidia :P

if only wow u need the setup shown some posts above is ok, but also think of the monitor u use and what res, but that card should do fine.
    also if u dont want i5 u can take i3 (actually the new name for core2duo according to some peeps) and will be enough.
    joggling a bit with cpu/ram prices is better to get for example an i3 and 4 gigs of ram, cause lately all games are memory hunger and wow is the same..

PS i'm thinking also for some upgrades but bit bigger

Hruktar

• Forum Lich
    « Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 11:19:57 PM »

Bit on the steep side, but at least i know which direction to go, much appreciated. :)

in my experience you can buy something better with 550-600(eur) if you want to be ready for the next five years

I'm really not happy to spend so much on the computer. You see, my current PC is great for everything I do except wow. I resisted the temptation to upgrade only for wow, but with wotlk and some later patches my fps dropped to ~10 or below in 25mans and that's not good.

My current motherboard is an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, the videocard is a 128 MB Ati from the stone age, and the RAM is indeed the old DDR1 type. The power supply is 400W. So it seems i'll have to cut down a bit from Kazz's list in light of that.

so would your cases cooling be sufficient?
    Never thought that could be an issue. My case doesn't have built-in cooling, just an ordinary case. Should it? There are only fans on the cpu, the video card and the psu.

The screen is a standard 4:3 17" screen that i use in 1280x1024. I plan to upgrade that later.

Might have to look into a whole PC instead of parts, and/or settle for something cheaper. Or maybe 2nd hand. Still searching. Thanks for the tips so far, guys, really appreciate them :)